Skip to main content

For more information click here.


September 1, 1889

  • Mr. Bacon, who has been keeping the boarding house in the Hawthorne house on Fourth street between L and M streets, died very suddenly yesterday at about 1 o'clock. He has not been in good health for some time, and is a new-comer here. 
    ​Yesterday morning he thought he would go to work and went to his bench, he being a carpenter. About 9 o'clock he was seen to fall to the floor and remain motionless. Some men went to his assistance, and found him unconscious. He was immediately carried into the house and Dr. Caples summoned, who on arriving saw that the man was suffering from a stroke of paralysis, and beyond all human help. He lingered in an unconscious condition until 1 o'clock when he died without a struggle. He was a man about 52 years of age, and leaves a wife and four children.

September 15, 1889

  • G. H. Stanton, of Stephens addition, who has been sick for along time, died Friday morning in Good Samaritan hospital. The remains were brought to this side of the river and the funeral will take place to-day at 4 P.M. from Dunning's undertaking rooms. He was a member of the Masonic order, the A.O.U.W. and G.A.R. The funeral will be conducted by the Masons of East Portland assisted by the other organizations named.
  • It is stated the Mr. Gaeling, who accidentally shot himself through the hand last week, is very bad. It was found necessary to amputate the hand and fears are entertained that he cannot recover.

September 17, 1889

  • The following are the teachers and their locations in the schools: 
    CENTRAL SCHOOL. Professor R. F. Robinson, principal and high school; Miss Mary E. Buxton, Eighth grade; Miss Ella A. Owen, Seventh grade; Miss Mary Hamilton, Sixth and Fifth grades; Miss Etta Beno, Fifth grade; Miss Minnie Brown, Fourth grade; Miss Anna Gray, Third grade; Miss Irene Powell, Second grade; Miss Carrie Ross, First grade. 
    STEPHENS SCHOOL. Professor G. A. Adams, principal and Seventh grade; Miss Lillie B. Davey, Sixth grade; Miss Mary Donahue, Fifth grade; Miss Marie Gantenbein, Fourth grade; Miss Anna Campbell, Third grade; Miss Elvene Grenier, Second Grade; Miss Eugenia Craig, First grade. 
    ​NORTH CENTRAL SCHOOL. Mrs. F. E. Alford, principal and Fifth grade; Miss Ida Gove, Fourth grade; Miss Mila Hill, Third grade; Miss Kate Prideaux, Second grade; Miss Anna Kennedy, First grade; Mrs. A. E. Sloan, First grade; Miss Maggie Charleson, supernumerary.

September 20, 1889

  • The schools in Holladay's addition, district 49, have an enrollment of 191, which are distributed in the following rooms and teachers: Professor Ackerman, principal of the district, 10; Miss Donlan, 54; Miss Krebs, 49, Miss Browning, 39. In the Fernwood school, taught by Miss Sharkey, there are fifteen pupils in attendance. There will be a large increase as the term progresses. The new principal and his assistants are simply organizing the school and getting it in working order. It will require several days in which to do this. The Holladay schools will undoubtedly maintain their former reputation for good work and practical results.
  • A gentleman in from Mount Tabor reported that Mr. Longnecker's house was destroyed by fire Tuesday. Fire was communicated to the building from burning brush, which was set on fire to clear land.

September 22, 1889

  • On the 19th of this month, Riley Schooley, a workman employed in Jeffery's brickyard, died without means, and yesterday funds were raised from his fellow-workmen by Mr. F. S. Dunning and the foreman of the yard, and the body was given a decent burial in Lone Fir cemetery.
  • Mr. William Dalton had a small house on his place near Latourelle burned this week. The fire communicated from burning timber.

September 24, 1889

  • Margaret Strain has begun suit in the state circuit court for a divorce from William Y. Strain, and for custody of the eight minor children. Habitual drunkenness is the cause alleged.
  • A marriage license was granted yesterday for Will Bonner, aged 22, and Daisy Merrick, aged 20.

September 25, 1889

  • Mrs. Nicoline Bodill Kuhnlein commenced suit for a divorce in the Circuit court, against Alexander Kuhnlein, to whom she was united in marriage in Chicago, Illinois, October 14, 1876. The plaintiff in her complaint says that within two weeks after the marriage her husband violently assaulted her, and has continued to do so almost continually ever since.The plaintiff continues that when she married Kuhnlein he was not worth a dollar, but she had almost $10,000 worth of property, devised to her by a former husband. At the time of her marriage to Kuhnlein, she was keeping a boarding and lodging house, and he was a boarder in her establishment, paying nothing for his bed and board, but, on the other hand, he appropriated to his own use the income of her property for two years, which aggregates $1800. She further claims that her husband has $8,900 additional money belonging to her. Plaintiff has no means, and asks, besides a decree of divorce, such other relief as the court may deem fit and just.
  • W. M. Hardin wants legal separation from his wife Mary J., to whom he was married June 23, 1881, in Cedar county Missouri. He alleges that his wife changed her mind two years later and deserted him.
  • Articles incorporating "The Home for Chinese Women and Girls" were filed with County Clerk Powell yesterday by Mrs. Mary H. Holbrook, Maria R. Andrews, Josephine J. Allen, R. Jane Williamson, Mary A. Cooper, Lydia A. Warren and Ah His. 
    ​The object of the corporation is to engage in the receiving, rescuing, protecting, caring for, educating and improving the condition of homeless, neglected and abused Chinese women and girls of this state and other states and territories as may seek its protection.

September 26, 1889

  • Mrs. Sarah Stevenson, an old resident of this place, and an early settler in this country, died at Oregon City on the 24th, aged 78. She was the mother of Mrs. D. Baugher, of East Portland, John Stevenson, of Yakima, Mrs. Wills, of Willsburg, Mrs. Miller, of Sellwood and Mrs. Chase, of Oregon City. The remains will arrive here on the train from Oregon City to-day at 10:20 A.M., and the funeral services will take place from the Second Day Adventist church, Tenth and G., at 10:30 A.M. to-day. The remains will be interred in Lone Fir cemetery.

September 28, 1889

  • Mrs. Jacob Anderson died yesterday at her residence in this city, after a lingering sickness, from consumption. She went east of the mountains for several weeks and then came back, not having received any advantage from her trip.
  • G. J. Gruner has commenced building a $1600 cottage in Stephens addition.
  • Miss Jennie Markwood, sister of Mrs. J. M. Robertson, has gone to Coeur d'Alene City on a visit.
  • Bud Tibbetts, son of Mr. Frank Tibbetts, started for Seattle last night, where he will assume a responsible position.

October 9, 1889

  • Last night the Salvation Army band was out on the streets with their drums and horns, and were placed under arrest by the city marshal after marching a short distance. The entire band marched to to the city jail in charge of the marshal, playing on their instruments and followed by a large crowd. At the city jail they piled inside the enclosure and were then locked up. Those arrested were Sarah Parker, Harry Hager, J. M. Parker, Mr. Simonson, E. McDonald, Mr. Hayes, John Garabed (the Turk.) Mrs. Parker was allowed to go on her recognizance, and the others were held in the sum of $10 bail, to appear at 1 P.M. to-day. J. M. Parker, the adjutant, said to the recorder the reason they appeared in the streets was not in defiance of the law, but because it was their right to do so. He complained very bitterly of the newspapers, and said the Salvation Army had been misrepresented. 
    The arrest was made by the marshal alone, as was his duty under the new ordinance. None of the officers were present at the time. The marshal complained that some one mistook him for a member of the band and swatted him with a rotten egg in the neck.
  • The residence of Mr. W. A. Richardson who resides near the car shops, was robbed Monday morning about 2 o'clock, under peculiar circumstances. Yesterday morning at 2 o'clock all were out milking, as Mr. Richardson keeps a milk ranch, and gets up that early to get the milk ready for delivery to customers in town. He had been out but a short time and then returned to the house, to find missing a gold watch and chain, valued at about $150, a rolled gold watch chain and $26 in cash. For some time a young man named Clifton has been employed on the place, and Sunday night he went over the river. He did not return, and the supposition is that he came back in the morning at 2 o'clock. The stolen property was lying on a table when Mr. Richardson went out, and it is thought Clifton took it and departed. What threw suspicion on this young man in the first place was the fact that he has disappeared and no trace of him has been found. There is, of course, a chance that he is not the thief, and the house was entered by someone else, but until his sudden absence is accounted for satisfactorily, suspicion will continue to rest on him. Marshal Morgan has sent the following circular to places where Clifton is liable to turn up: 
    ​Look out for a gold watch and chain. The chain is a single link vest, solid gold; the watch a Howard movement, engine turn case, with monogram "W.A.R." on the face side of watch.

October 10, 1889

  • The funeral of W. A. Ransome, who was killed in Monday night's wreck on the Southern Pacific railroad, will take place to-day at 11 A.M. from the car shops. The remains will be brought to L street depot on the train, and the carriages taken from there. Funeral services will be under the auspices of Washington lodge, Masonic, also accompanied by the members of the Brotherhood of Firemen.

October 16, 1889

  • School District No. 2 -- The two school houses in this district, situated in the southeastern portion of the city on the Powell's valley road, have an attendance of about 250 pupils, and the work is progressing very finely. The buildings are designated as upper and lower school houses, and the schools are under four teachers who are as follows: Principal, E. C. Hoover; assistants, Miss Gracie Davy, Miss Habersham and Miss H. Musen. This district will soon have to provide another building to accommodate the increase.

October 17, 1889

  • Mr. Walter McFarland, aged 54 years, and old esteemed resident of Cole's addition to East Portland, died of consumption at his residence on Eleventh street Monday night at a quarter past 11 o'clock. The deceased was born in Boston on the 1st of August 1835, and came to the West fifteen years ago and settled in San Francisco. From that city he moved to Portland and then to East Portland, where he has resided since, enjoying the full respect and confidence of all who knew him. He was an able seaman and served his country in the United States navy during the late war, and he was a member of the G.A.R., who was exceedingly popular among his comrades. He leaves behind a wife and four children. The funeral will take place to-day at 11 o'clock. His loss will be felt by a large circle of friends and neighbors.
  • Mrs. M. Keech, mother of Mrs. John Kenworthy, died yesterday morning, at the residence of her daughter, at Seventh and P Streets. Mrs. Kenworthy was East about a year ago. On her return she brought her mother with her. The funeral will take place at 2 P.M. to-day from the residence, Seventh and P.

October 20, 1889

  • At the meeting of Pioneer engine company, Friday night, a name for membership was reported favorably on, and the ballot was about to be spread for his admission or rejection, when Mr. John H. Hall arose and asked who the man was and what his qualifications were. Mr. W. D. Pape answered, saying that the gentleman was in every way qualified, as he could speak several languages. Mr. Hall said he was entirely satisfied with those qualifications, especially if the man could swear in all of the languages. He was unanimously elected.
  • Next Tuesday for Salvationists in the city jail will come forth as free men, their ten days' imprisonment then expiring. "Joe, the Turk," will have to remain fifteen days more, after his comrades are released, but, as he says this is the eighth time he has been jailed, he can stand it very well. It has been remarkably dull and quiet about the barracks since the band ceased appearing on the streets, and the question is, what will they do? Perhaps they will abandon East Portland.

October 24, 1889

  • Jesse Bloodsworth stated yesterday that he had occasion to take his sister to the Northern Pacific depot in Portland Tuesday night, and returned up town by way of Fourth street. While passing a secluded place he passed between two men. One was on the edge of the sidewalk, apparently looking at some object across the street. He had just passed when he heard a sharp click and an order to halt. He obeyed, when the "unconcerned" man on the edge of the sidewalk came forward quickly and went through his pockets, taking $2 60 in change and a jackknife. Bloodsworth says the fellow pulled out his watch chain, but finding no watch, remarked, "You are not very well fixed, are you?" Bloodsworth was then allowed to pass on, which he did as lively as possible.

October 27, 1889

  • "Joe the Turk," in the city jail, sent a request to the recorder for permission to have his picture taken, with the jail as the background. The request was not granted at present, but just before he takes his departure his vanity may be gratified. Some people would prefer not to have a city jail as a background to their pictures, but there is a great dissimilarity in the tastes of human beings.

October 29, 1889

  • Saturday evening the wedding ceremony was performed that united in marriage Mr. Guy Possen and Miss Lulu McGowan. The marriage took place at the residence of the bride's parents, in Hanson's addition, in the presence of a few invited guests, and afterward the couple took their departure for Seattle. They will be absent about two weeks, when they will return and occupy their new home in Hanson's addition, which is furnished throughout in readiness for their reception. Both are popular young people in East Portland.

October 30, 1889

  • Yesterday John E. Mayo tendered his resignation as justice of the peace for this precinct. It was accepted by the county court and Mr. S. Bullock was appointed to fill the vacancy. Mr. Mayo becomes recorder on November 1, and it is presumed the new justice will take his office then.

October 31, 1889

  • Yesterday Messrs. William Von Cadon, Henry Rustler and William Myer went to Green Lake, about four miles from Vancouver, where they killed forty-eight fine fat ducks. They report game very plentiful at the lake.

November 1, 1889

  • Miss Emma C. Gay, daughter of Mr. C. W. Gay of Mount Tabor, whose death was announced last Monday, was a young lady 20 years old, and highly respected by all who knew her. The news of her death will be received with deep sorrow by her many acquaintances, formed while teaching in the school districts in the eastern portion of the county. Especially will the pupils who attended her schools keenly feel the loss of her pleasant face.
  • A fine century plant was stolen from the home of F. W. Berry; Fifteenth and J streets, on Wednesday morning. It had been left in front of the house, and was carried off by a sneak thief. The plant was prized very highly by the owner. It seems that there are some parties who are making a practice of stealing choice plants, and the case here reported is not an isolated one.

November 7, 1899

  • Last evening Mr. M. M. Hunter, bookkeeper for Kindorff Bros., came to the East Side office and stated he had an item. A reporter went with him and was shown a fine fat black bear suspended in front of the meat shop. "This bear," remarked Mr. Hunter, "was killed by Mr. Byars, just back of St. Johns." Mr. Byars was interviewed, and he admitted that he killed the bear, but he remarked, "I scared that bear to death." "You scared him to death, did you? How did it happen the bear didn't scare you to death?" "Well," remarked Byars, striking his cane down on the floor with emphasis, "the bear died first."

November 8, 1889

  • James Gannon, an old soldier, who resides on Sixth between H and G streets, died yesterday evening at 6 o'clock. He has been in very feeble health for some time and his death was not unexpected. A wife and several children mourn his death. He was a member of Sumner Post, G.A.R., and Washington Lodge, A.F. & A.M., and under the auspices of these organizations he will be buried. This is the fourth old soldier that has been buried from the post the past year.

November 10, 1889

  • A few days ago the house of Mr. Davis, who resides on the Powell's valley road about four miles from here, was totally destroyed by fire. All the family were at home at the time, but the flames obtained such headway that it was impossible to save the building. However, most of the furniture was saved, and the family are now living in a house near by. The house was a neat cottage and cost about $1200.

November 15, 1889

  • Henry A. Bruce, an old resident of East Portland, died at his residence in Stephens addition yesterday morning at 7 o'clock. He was 70 years of age, and leaves a wife and several children.

November 22, 1889

  • A Ladies' and Pastors' Aid Society has been organized in the Centenary M. E. church through the efforts of Dr. Bushong, the aim of which is to look up strangers and give them a warm welcome--visit the sick, care for the indigent and raise moneys for the furnishing of the parsonage, and for the needs of the church not otherwise provided for. It has the following officers: President, Mrs. D. Bushong; vice president, Mrs. Hill; treasurer, Mrs. R. M. Robb; secretary, Mrs. M. L. Kenworthy. The executive committee consists of Mesdames Abraham, McClure and Dildine.

November 23, 1889

  • Yesterday evening Mr. Ellis Walker met with a shocking accident in Stephens addition. He is the owner of a wood sawing machine, and was engaged in sawing wood on Seventh street between U and V streets. George Coulter was the driver of the horse that pulled the machine from place to place. Mr. Walker was managing the sawing, and he gave Coulter an order to move the machine forward a few feet. Coulter started the horse, the saw being in motion. He had hardly started the animal when he heard the saw strike something and Mr. Walker exclaim, "My God." Looking back, he saw the blood streaming from Walker's left arm. He thought the arm was nearly severed at first, but, without stopping to make examination, he caught the arm above the wrist and hurried Walker to the street car and soon had him in Raffety's drug store. Here it was found that the saw had struck the arm near the wrist, cutting a gash five inches long, severing the ulna nerve, main artery and nearly severing the ulna bone. The accident was caused by his swinging his arm against the saw. The fearful ash was sewed up and dressed in a few moments, and Walker was made as comfortable as possible. There will be no trouble about the hand, but he may not have the full use of his fingers. Ellis Walker is an old pioneer, is over 70 years of age and well known.

December 7, 1889

  • Sumner Post, G.A.R., of this city held an election Thursday night, and the following officers were chosen:
    • N. L. Smith - P. C. 
    • J. W. Riner - S. V. C. 
    • M. Countryman - J. V. C. 
    • W. W. Royal - surgeon 
    • L. H. Hickman - chaplain 
    • G. J. Ross - quartermaster 
    • A. C. Edmonds - O. D. 
    • Anthony Gannon - O. G. 
    • Delegates to department encampment - Comrades F. Neidermark, S. N. Alford, R. H. Loomis, H. F. McMillan, S. R. Harrington
    • Alternates - Comrades F. Neidermark, S. N. Alford, R. H. Loomis, H. F. McMillan, S. R. Harrington
      ​They will be installed the first meeting in January.
  • C. B. Bartel has had a case in the court for the past three years against Nicholas Mathais, to recover $1755 for services rendered as agent. Mr. Bartel has won his suit and the $1755. There is an oyster supper in prospect.

December 13, 1889

  • Fidelity lodge, A.O.U.W., has elected the following officers for the ensuing term:
    • M. W. - A. A. Kadderly 
    • foreman - M. Sunderland 
    • overseer - G. A. Routledge 
    • recorder - S. W. Marks 
    • financier - Ed Brandon 
    • receiver - Fred Kindorff 
    • guide - John Foster 
    • inside watchman - H. Metzger 
    • outside guard - J. W. Waller
      Fidelity is a growing lodge and one of the most prosperous in this jurisdiction.
  • The election of the Columbia lodge, No. 42, A.F. & A.M., Mount Tabor, occurred Saturday evening, December 7, regular communication, and resulted as follows:
    • J. S. Rathbun - W. M. 
    • O. F. Botkin - S. W. 
    • H. Freeborough - J. W. 
    • F. M. Black - treasurer 
    • A. W. Botkin - secretary 
    • J. S. Craft - tyler 
    • T. W. Searls - S. D. 
    • R. L. Lewis - J. D.
      ​Installation of officers will take place on the 27th instant at 2 P.M.

December 14, 1889

  • At the annual convocation of Washington Chapter No. 18, Royal Arch Masons, held at their hall in East Portland, December 12, 1889, the following officers were elected for the ensuing Masonic year:
    • Thomas H. Brickell - M. E. H. P. 
    • John L. Sperry - E. K. 
    • Alonzo Hoyt - E. S. 
    • C. E. Miller - captain of H. 
    • A. L. Rumsey - P. S. 
    • S. N. Alford - master 3d V. 
    • W. W. Peaslee - master 2d V. 
    • Philip Flood - master 1st V. 
    • John E. Boynton - treasurer 
    • John R. Hanson - secretary 
    • M. Stoker - sentinel
      Installation will take place Monday evening, December 16, 1889, at 7:30 o'clock.

December 27, 1889

  • It was announced that a wedding would take place Christmas eve in the Evangelical church during the exercises that evening. The names of the couple were not given an there was good deal of speculation over the matter. When the hour arrived Mr. W. J. Faubion, of La Camas, and Miss A. C. Long, of Cole's addition, stepped under the beautiful evergreen horseshoo that stood on the platform and were made one in a few words by Rev. L. S. Fisher. The church was packed to its utmost capacity and the exercises were very enjoyable.