Facilitators: Dr. Tim Janzen, Lisa McCullough
Advanced DNA Group:
Meeting Schedule: The 4th Saturday, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm (PT)
Register / Join:
These groups meet online.
Genetic Genealogy is the use of DNA testing to aid traditional genealogical research. It does not replace research but helps prove or disprove its accuracy. All records are man-made and subject to errors. Since time began our ancestors have taken in the neighbor’s children to raise when needed and no records exist for all those “adoptions.” For these reasons, our research cannot and does not always reflect our lineage accurately. Now Genetic Genealogy can help. Visit our class and learn more…
The DNA Interest Group is facilitated by Dr. Tim Janzen and Lisa McCullough. Presentations cover all aspects of Genetic Genealogy and provide a forum for discussion as well as time for answering any related questions.
Anyone can attend any group. Handouts, if any, are listed above. Bring them with you to the meeting.
The following are some of the topics we will cover over the year, but not in this order.
- Basics of DNA (as needed)
- Understanding the tests & testing companies
- How DNA helps genealogy
- Understanding your test results
- DNA book recommendations and discussions
- Being pro-active genetic genealogists
- DNA and Privacy concerns
- Y-chromosome DNA and Mitochondrial DNA
- Bio-geographical DNA
- Autosomal DNA, including the X-chromosome
- Chromosome mapping
- Third-party tools for genetic genealogists
- Share test results and answer the question: What do I do now?
If you would like more information about this group or have questions, please contact the facilitators via email.
Useful Websites for DNA Research: click here.